Dairy Free Crumb Cake


One of my absolute favorite things to do on a Sunday morning is to wake up early and bake a sweet treat to enjoy with my pot of tea. Its become a weekend tradition in our home. My daughter who is about 2 1/2 years old, is unfortunately, lactose intolerant. I’ve been tweaking recipes so she can enjoy the same delicious baked goods with her family. 

She recently discovered that she adores coffee cake, mostly the buttery crumb topping. I had to find a recipe that had more crumb than cake, and that could easily be made dairy free. I've tried so many variations and finally nailed one down. Its become a Sunday morning staple. 



Preparing this crumb cake is a breeze. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch pan. I like to use my Kitchen Aid mixer with the whisk attachment to whisk the egg, dairy free milk, canola oil, vanilla, and salt. Then I incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet mixture with the paddle attachment. Then I mix in flour, sugar, and baking powder. When everything is combined thoroughly, I pour the batter into the greased pan and set it aside. I use a medium sized bowl to make the crumb topping. Light-brown sugar, the remaining flour, cinnamon, and melted dairy free butter are added to the bowl and mixed until a dough is formed. The pieces are broken from the dough and sprinkled on the cake batter. When finished, the pan is placed in the oven to bake for 20 minutes. The cake is cooled and dusted with confectionary sugar. This cake is enjoyed best when it's still warm. Enjoy! It's difficult not to go back for seconds! 












Comments

Popular Posts