Gobble: Porcini Mushroom Ravioli with Lacinato Kale & Caramelized Onions Review

My brother and sister-in-law came to visit last night and she prepared some Filipino Lumpia for a late night dinner. While we waited for it to finish, I thought it would be the perfect time to try out our first meal from Gobble and use it as a starter. The combinations of cuisine were interesting, I know, but it was cool with us.

Considering the kitchen was slightly hectic yesterday evening with the anticipation of a Filipino feast, I was a little anxious about squeezing in an extra meal into my tiny kitchen. I figured though, this would be a good time to experiment with how easy it really is to prepare a Gobble meal. They claim that their meals are "easy peasy" and state right on the Gobble box that meals use "one pan-10 minutes." Challenge accepted...




Porcini Mushroom Ravioli with Lacinato Kale and Caramelized Onions, sounds fancy, doesn't it? Looks, fancy on the recipe card too! If I can have a meal like this in about 10 minutes, I'll be damn impressed. I took the dinner kit bag for this recipe out of the fridge, and I have to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Gobble's packaging. For me, it does look a little off-putting, liquidity onions in a plastic bag, eh. I get it though how else are you going to get that quick meal they're advertising? 


First things first, upon opening the bag there was a pungent smell of kale. Not good. It went bad. Luckily, since we're all healthy up in here, I had my own on hand. Alright, so off to a shaky start...but I'm all in, I'm committed. 


Second things second, boil some water for the porcini mushroom ravioli. Add it, boil for 6-8 min. Simple. Wash, dry, and quarter cremini mushrooms. Set aside. Easy.


Now comes the hard stuff. The actual cooking. Are you ready?

Saute the kale in cooking oil, season, and add the bagged caramelized onions. Transfer to plates. In the same saute pan add more oil, saute cremini mushrooms, add shallot garlic confit. Cook.
Lower the heat, pour in the cream, porcini mushroom powder. Use a little effort, to strip leaves from a thyme sprig. Stir.


 

Add the cooked, porcini mushroom ravioli, and gently coat everything together. You're done. Plate it, make it look professional.  Garnish with goat cheese, hell yes!



Overall Impression:




This meal was "easy peasy," however it didn't take me 10 minutes. It took me 17 minutes. I tried, people. Literally, everything was pre-measured for you and in containers, plastic bags, brown bags, etc. I did have to cut the mushrooms. Whatever. It's not the end of the world. Since I had to provide my own kale, I had no idea how much to include, I had to assume by looking at the picture on the card. The recipe card does not include measurements, most likely due to everything being done for you. However, it would be nice to have the measurements, just in case I wanted to re-create this dish on my own.

We really liked this dish. The addition of goat cheese made the meal incredibly creamy and added extra flavor to the ravioli. Although I liked the cream sauce, I thought the flavor was slightly too subtle and needed a little something more. The kale and caramelized onions broke up the flavor of the mushrooms and brought balance to the dish. I initially thought the quartered mushrooms, might add too much of the mushroom flavor, but it was quite nice. I really enjoyed it. Surprisingly, my brother who despises mushrooms really loved this dish. That's really saying something folks.


I give this meal 4 out of 5 stars. To be excellent the cream sauce would need some adjustments. I was disappointed that the kale had gone bad, considering the service is more expensive than many of its competitors. I'm hoping it's just a fluke. Stay tuned for my next Gobble meal review.









Comments

Popular Posts