Parisian Bistro Steak with Dauphinoise Potatoes and Green Beans Review




Tonight we had our last meal in this week's Home Chef box. I'm was kinda bummed because I realized now I have to come up with my own dinners to cook until my next dinner box. Luckily, tomorrow is my Dad's birthday, and that means I get to have cake! Tomorrow night's dinner is solved.

On to the review....


Total Prep, Cooking and Clean-Up Time: 


Prep: 17 Minutes
Cook: 38 Minutes
Total Time: 55 Minutes

Clean Up Time: 15 Minutes- not including the casserole pan which is still soaking in my sink. Didn't tackle that one tonight.


Difficulty Level: Intermediate

The preparation for this meal required a lot of my time. Cutting potatoes is no ones favorite thing to do, but hey, I'm grateful I didn't have to peel them. The fingerling potatoes were sliced into rounds, boiled in water and then reduced to a simmer. A shallot was minced, and the ends of green beans were trimmed. Steaks were patted dry and seasoned. 




To begin making Dauphinoise potatoes, they were strained in a colander, returned back to the pot. The potatoes were lightly tossed in light cream, shallot, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. They were then transferred to a casserole dish and topped with parmesan cheese. A casserole dish was supposed to be placed on a baking sheet...I didn't do this. No more dishes. I'm good. The potatoes were baked until the cheese was browned. 




While the potatoes baked, the steaks were cooked over medium heat in a lightly oiled pan. Once the steaks were cooked they were transferred to a plate to rest. The green beans were added to the same pan used to cook the steak. The green beans were cooked in olive oil and water until bright and tender. Once the green beans were finished, they were transferred to another plate, and the sauce was prepared in the same pan. The sauce consisted of, olive oil, shallot, pre-packaged demi-glace, water, and butter. Once the sauce was prepared, the meal was plated. 




Misguidance/Issues:

The recipe was clear and easy to follow. If you are placing the potatoes into a deep casserole dish there is no need for a baking sheet. They just want you to do extra dishes. There weren't nearly enough potatoes for it to drip or splatter. The recipe states that the sauce would be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon - didn't happen. It was extremely thin. 


Overall Impression:




This dinner was wicked delicious. I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. Fix your sauce...

You really can't go wrong with a good cut of steak. As for the side, the Dauphinoise potatoes were awesome. Who would have known that cheese and potatoes went together so well, I'm going to have to try this sometime. The only problem, there wasn't enough of it. Seriously,  I could just eat a bowl of Dauphinoise potatoes and be happy. The green beans were you know...green beans. Gotta have your "good" vegetables. 

 Alright folks, until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts