Old Fashioned Pancakes

Happiness is a pancake breakfast…. 

Breakfast is kind of a big deal around our house, especially with my 2 1/2-year-old. She’s always had a love for pancakes, even more so now that she’s discovered that they are a topic of discussion in some of her most beloved books. “Pancakes, Pancakes!” by Eric Carle, has been read so many times, the pages are wrinkled and the binding is loose. She giggles so sweetly every time Grandpa flips a pancake on to Henry’s head in “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs,” by Judi Barrett.  Of course, every morning she asks me for pancakes, with the biggest smile. 

 "Pancakes, Pancakes!" image by Eric Carle 


"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs," Illustration by Ron Barrett


When I do make pancakes, I like to use a recipe I’ve been using since my husband and I had our first tiny apartment in Boston. I’ve kept it written down on a post-it. When we had a smaller budget, we’d have pancakes for dinner. We’ve eaten many pancakes. This recipe has been stowed away in silverware drawers as if it were a secret. It’s old, faded, torn, and very loved. Funny thing is, I don’t need it anymore. I know the recipe very well. As I pulled out the bowl to make pancakes this morning, I reached into the silverware drawer and reached for the post-it. My husband stared at me for a short time and smiled, and said softly: “What would we do without it?” And to that, I answered, "I know it by heart." He simply said, “Of course, you do.” I placed it back in the silverware drawer until next time. 




If you’d like to make the pancakes dairy free, swap out the milk for lactose-free milk. We also like to add Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips, to make the pancakes extra special. Enjoy! 



Comments

Popular Posts