Home Chef: French Onion Risotto with Swiss Cheese Review




Our final meal in this week's Home Chef box was, "French Onion Risotto with Swiss Cheese." I saved this one for last because I was the most excited for it. It combines two of my favorite dishes, French Onion Soup, and creamy delicious Risotto. An abundance of varied ingredients can be added to Risotto, giving it the potential to be a hearty and flavor-packed main course. I was eager to try this recipe's flavor combination. The recipe card indicated that the meal would take somewhere in between 35-45 minutes for prep & cooking time, and was labeled as "easy."

Total Prep, Cooking and Clean-Up Time: 

Prep: 15 Minutes
Cook: 35 Minutes
Total Time: 50 Minutes
Clean Up Time: 10 Minutes

Difficulty Level: Intermediate 

Preparation involved halving and slicing a single onion into thin strips. Mincing garlic, quartering mushrooms, and stripping thyme from its stem. Preparation of the vegetables was not difficult but did take additional time.



The onions were caramelized and a vegetable broth was boiled for the risotto. Once the onions were caramelized, they were set aside until used for plating. The risotto was lightly browned in the same pan, along with garlic and thyme. White wine was added to the rice, and it was absorbed rather quickly. Vegetable broth was then added to the risotto in small batches and stirred constantly as the broth was absorbed. Risotto takes time to be cooked properly, requiring your undivided attention. I was surprised to see this recipe labeled as "easy."



While the risotto was cooking, the recipe asks that you prepare the mushrooms for roasting by tossing them in olive oil and salt and pepper. Placing them in an oven at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes. The risotto is supposed to be nearing the finish line as the mushrooms are done roasting. Upon completion of the risotto, parmesan cheese is added along with salt and pepper to taste. To plate, the risotto is placed in a bowl and topped with caramelized onions, roasted mushrooms, and swiss cheese. The dish is garnished with the remaining thyme *I, unfortunately, forgot to garnish with thyme. 

Misguidance/Issues:

As I stated previously I was surprised to see that this recipe was given an "easy" rating. I do not agree. Risotto takes time. Your attention can not be diverted to another task while preparing risotto. I chose to prepare my mushrooms for roasting prior to starting the risotto, so my attention could solely be where it should be for the remainder of the recipe.  The recipe also states that you need a pot to make the risotto, I used a sauté pan.


Overall Impression:



I really enjoyed this meal. The flavors were light but blended nicely with one another. The parmesan stood out to me and elevated the dishes flavor. I would be happy to receive this meal a second time. I was slightly disappointed by the portion size but I left the meal feeling full. My husband, on the other hand, was a different story, he was still hungry and had to eat something else to feel full.

I give this recipe 4 out of 5 stars. The steps of the recipe need to be somewhat rearranged to account for the attention the risotto needs. The portion size of this meal could also be adjusted. 

Comments

Popular Posts