Hungryroot: Black Bean Brownie Batter Review

Take a couple of hours and scroll through Pinterest and you'll come across a multitude of recipes for unsuspecting sweets. Vegan, gluten-free, low-cal, low-carb, healthy, blah blah blah...If you're an adventurous baker perhaps you've attempted some of these creations. The one recipe that sticks out in my mind the most are the infamous Black Bean Brownies. I came across these suckers one day and the words "healthy brownies that DO NOT taste healthy," and "DO NOT taste like black beans" caught my eye. These brownies sound like a friggin miracle. My god! For once I can eat all the brownies I want and not feel like a disgusting slob...

I gathered all of the ingredients for this science experiment and started baking. I was wicked excited to try these awesome healthy brownies. Well, guess what? They tasted like shit. They were absolutely disgusting, I had to throw the entire pan in the garbage. It was despicable! My husband and I were so distraught by this atrocity that we still talk about it to this day. 


Fast forward to this past week, and I saw that Black Bean Brownie Batter would be coming in my first delivery from Hungryroot. Well, they do sell vegan, and gluten-free products so I don't know what kind of desserts I was expecting but my first thought was, "Well that's going to be gross." 

I was anxious about this. Naturally, I checked up on the reviews from people online. Shockingly, they were all positive. I couldn't believe it. Either these people are super major vegans and forgot what real brownies taste like, or worse...LIES!  

The day came and I received my Black Bean Brownie Batter. It said you could eat it raw, and that seems like the preference of most. So that's what I was going to do. It looked like brownie batter, smelled good...



I thought I'd try it on my toddler first. She liked it, she liked it a lot. She didn't throw it on the floor! Then it was my turn. I took a spoonful of the batter and faced my fears...

Folks, this stuff is absolutely AMAZING! I was so confused. I checked the ingredients and sure enough, first thing listed was black beans. Wow! Hungryroot did some magic here. I just want to be honest and say I'm not going to make actual brownies with this batter. I'm going to eat it raw, straight from the container because it's awesome. 



I tried the black bean brownie batter on my husband. He immediately protested, reminding me of the "incident." I swore to him, this wasn't like that. He reluctantly tried it. He loved it. 

I offered it to my parents. My mother of the two being the most adventurous was slightly concerned by the name. My father was absolutely disgusted. No way did he want to try it, but I convinced him. They both loved it. This is HUGE! My father detests beans, and anything "unordinary." This batter received his approval. My mother asked where she could buy it...

Hungryroot, sell some of your items individually. This batter will be flying off the shelves! 



Comments

Popular Posts